FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- What's different about an Own Journey trip?
- Who goes on an Own Journey trip?
- Why would I take an Own Journey trip?
- Will this be like a school camp?
- How much free time will I have to do my own thing?
- Will there be an opportunity to get some volunteering experience?
- What if I can't do some of the physical activities like hiking, cycling and swimming?
- What does an Own Journey trip look like?
- How long do the workshops run for?
- What will the workshops be like?
- What will the workshops cover?
- Who has developed the workshops?
- Who will deliver the workshops on the tour?
- Do I have to participate in all of the workshops?
- I know someone else who is travelling in Cambodia. Can I go and see them?
- Do I need a visa to travel to Cambodia and will Own Journey organise one for me?
- How reliable are the tour providers on the ground in Cambodia?
- Are my flights included in the price of the trip?
- Are airport transfers included in the price of the trip?
- Are all of my meals included my trip?
- How much spending money should I budget for?
- What currency should I bring with me?
- I'm travelling on my own. Do I have to share a room with someone?
- I'm happy to share a room with someone. Will I share with the same person during the whole trip?
- I'm travelling with a someone. Can we share a room throughout the trip?
- Do I have to pay for the trip up front?
- Can I pay the trip off in instalments?
- How do I pay for the trip?
- Do I need to buy travel insurance?
- Do I need to get any vaccinations or take any medications?
OWN JOURNEY TRIP EXPERIENCE
1. What's different about an Own Journey trip?
- Own Journey trips are just like other organised small group travel experiences with the addition of a unique personal development program made up of five short workshops that relate to your travel itinerary and focus on key positive psychology principles that have been shown to support personal development and wellbeing.
2. Who goes on an Own Journey trip?
- Anyone. Own Journey trips are open to young people aged 18-23, from anywhere in the world, and of all genders. Our travellers want to combine travel with their desire to learn more about who they are and have different life experiences. Many of our travellers are taking a Gap Year after secondary school or during their university studies.
3. Why would I take an Own Journey trip?
- Our travellers join us for many reasons. You may be keen to travel through Cambodia but want the security of knowing that your travel schedule is taken care of. You may be interested in meeting people who have similar interests to you. You may be curious about who you are and want to use travel to experience different ways of learning about yourself. Or you might just be keen to try something new and different while you travel around an amazing country like Cambodia.
4. Will this be like a school camp?
- Absolutely not. Own Journey trips are just like other organised small group travel experiences that incorporate the right balance of sight seeing, historical and cultural experiences, and free time, but with our unique personal development program added to the experience. This is your journey so you'll decide what you do and when - as long you're ready to get on the bus or boat when we are ready to move on to our next destination!
5. How much free time will I have to do my own thing?
- Our schedule includes a balance of organised activities for the whole group and ample free time each day for you to be able to explore our destinations in your own way.
6. Will there be an opportunity to get some volunteering experience?
- Whilst we recognise that some people are really keen to make a broader contribution to the communities they're a part of, even for a short stay, Own Journey trips are all about you, and as such, there isn't any volunteering opportunities included. Our program is all about investing in you so that you can invest in others, and do so with greater personal capacity, in your next steps. Our program will introduce you to some really terrific social enterprises and community initiatives that are making waves in Cambodia however.
7. What if I can't do some of the physical activities like hiking, cycling and swimming?
- No worries at all! Our tour guides will be able to substitute in alternative activities for you. Make sure you let us know of any restrictions you might have when you book.
8. What does an Own Journey trip look like?
- On the surface, Own Journey trips seem very similar to other small group travel experiences. Your trip will be led by an experienced local guide who speaks both English and local languages and will be able to provide you with key cultural and historical insights along the trip. They'll know the best places eat, shop and chill out at. In addition, Own Journey trips also include a mentor, and this is where our trips are unique. Your mentor will facilitate a personal development program that has been specially designed and strategically aligned with your travel experience, so that you discover more about yourself as you're discovering the world around you. Each day's itinerary will incorporate sightseeing, cultural and historical experiences, as well as free time. On some days your group will share meals together, and on others you'll be encouraged to seek out your own local eateries. You'll shop, enjoy nights out, explore local streets, and immerse yourself in each community we visit. Own Journey trips also include five personal development workshops, and you'll be encouraged to reflect upon and integrate your insights from these workshops into your travel experiences, in your connections with members of your trip, and in your interactions with the local communities and places you visit to make for a deeper experience.
9. How long do the workshops run for?
- Each workshop will last around 45 minutes - long enough to explore each of the included positive psychology principles, but short enough to ensure that your holiday is just that - a holiday!
10. What will the workshops be like?
- You're on a holiday and an adventure, so workshops are designed and scheduled to be a part of that. Workshops are conversational and designed to be thought provoking, with your involvement determined by you. You'll have the opportunity to contribute to discussions or to quietly reflect as you decide. Mentors will suggest different ways that you can apply the concepts you're exploring in your daily travels with the occasional fun challenge thrown in to mix it up a bit.
11. What will the workshops cover?
- Our personal development program incorporates positive psychology concepts that have been shown to support and enhance personal wellbeing and include: mindfulness - vulnerability - empathy - balance - gratitude - values - resilience - authenticity - goal setting - building my team
12. Who has developed the workshops?
- The program has been specially designed for Own Journey by a psychologist who leads and facilitates leadership and wellbeing programs for young people, and a secondary and university educator with many years' experience in building and leading highly successful wellbeing development programs for young people in high performance environments.
13. Who will deliver the workshops on the tour?
- Each tour will incorporate a highly trained mentor who will deliver our personal development program.
14. Do I have to participate in all of the workshops?
- This is your journey, so you control when and how you participate. Having everyone engaged in the program makes for a more enjoyable and richer experience for everyone, but we totally get that sometimes, you just need some time out.
I know someone else who is travelling in Cambodia. Can I go and see them?
- Absolutely! We'd encourage you to use your free time to do so so that you can enjoy the whole Own Journey experience however.
OWN JOURNEY TRIP DETAILS
1. Do I need a visa to travel to Cambodia and will Own Journey organise one for me?
- Citizens of most countries are required to obtain a visa for Cambodia. You can purchse a visa upon entry to Cambodia or purchase one online prior to entering. Check with Cambodian authorities on visa requirements and processes.
2. How reliable are the tour providers on the ground in Cambodia?
- Our on ground logistics are provided by world leaders, Intrepid Travel, who have nearly thirty years' experience in building, designing and delivering safe, fun, exhilarating and ethical travel experiences, and are known for their reliability and professionalism.
3. Are my flights included in the price of the trip?
- No, flights are not included in the price of your trip.
4. Are airport transfers included in the price of the trip?
- No they aren't as our travellers make their way to Phnom Penh via different routes. Some will come across land from neighbouring countries, whilst others will fly in. For a small free we can organise an airport transfer for you at either end of the trip.
5. Are all of my meals included my trip?
- No. Own Journey's trips are designed to give you the flexibility and freedom to explore local cafes, restaurants, food stalls, and street food. Own Journey will provide you with 11 meals across your trip.
6. How much spending money should I budget for?
- You can enjoy street food and local meals for US$1-3 or eat at a restaurant for US$5-10, so plan according to your budget, tastes and desires. Most activities are included in cost of trip however in Sihanoukville, snorkelling and an island boat trip are optional (US$25pp). Budget according to your shopping, eating, socialising patterns but you can use Lonely Planet to help guide you on this.
7. What currency should I bring with me?
- Both Riel and US currency are widely accepted. Have some US currency on hand to purchase your visa when entering Cambodia.
8. I'm travelling on my own. Do I have to share a room with someone?
- No, not at all. All Own Journey trips provide solo travellers with the option of having their own room by paying for a Single Supplement. You can purchase this when making your booking for your trip in our store.
9. I'm happy to share a room with someone. Will I share with the same person during the whole trip?
- When there a few solo travellers on a trip, we will allocate two people of the same sex to a room. When we change locations, we rotate room allocations so that solo travellers have the opportunity to get to know different people. If there are only two solo travellers of the same sex, they'll be roomed together throughout the trip. If you are the only solo traveller, or the only solo traveller of your sex, you'll be provided with a single room at no extra cost.
10. I'm travelling with a someone. Can we share a room throughout the trip?
- Of course. You're on an adventure and you're going to want to share that journey together. Make sure you list your travelling companion with you when making your booking and Own Journey will ensure you're allocated a room together.
11. Do I have to pay for the trip up front?
- No. You are required to pay a deposit of $400 AUD no later than 65 days prior to departure to secure your place on the trip. You can pay for the trip up front however. Once your deposit is paid you have the option of paying off your trip in instalments.
12. Can I pay the trip off in instalments?
- Absolutely. Own Journey's store will provide you with an option to pay in instalments after you pay your deposit.
13. How do I pay for the trip?
- All payments need to be paid for electronically through our Own Journey store.
14. Do I need to buy travel insurance?
- It is compulsory that you have travel insurance to join an Own Journey trip. You'll be asked to provide your travel insurance documentation a week before the trip begins.
15. Do I need to get any vaccinations or take any medications?
- Own Journey recommends you seek out medical advice from your doctor regarding any vaccinations or medications you might need to take for your trip.